Week 1: Orientation
- Read through the student teacher handbook with your cooperating teacher, sign and return to Administrative Assistant.
- Meet school staff, review school policies and class management plan.
- Record upcoming events throughout the semester.
- Set up structured observations. Take notes on specific details such as instructional techniques, management techniques, conducting techniques, warm-up activities, tuning procedures, and wrap-up.
- Meet with your cooperating teacher DAILY to discuss observations, ask questions, and plan for future lessons.
- Begin brief teaching episodes, such as warm-ups in secondary settings or teaching one song in elementary general music classes.
Weeks 2-5: Induction
- Begin small teaching tasks (e.g., leading warm-ups, sectionals, teaching one song)
- Obtain DAILY verbal and written feedback from your cooperating teachers.
- Videotape teaching segments
Remaining Weeks: Assumption
- Extend teaching responsibilities to incorporate more and more classes
- Begin teaching entire classes and refine lesson planning
- Continue videotaping